Our History - Boys & Girls Clubs of Hamilton
In 1950 a handful of community leaders first envisioned a Boys Club in Hamilton. A grassroots program was subsequently established at the Jefferson School Annex in 1954 under the leadership of Mr. Lawrence (Larry) Weekley. Larry provided inspired leadership for the Club from its founding until his retirement in 1985. In 1962 the first permanent Club was constructed on East Avenue, joined in 1973 by the second Club on Grand Boulevard. And in 1980 the Clubs became one of the firsts in the nation to serve girls. Today, thanks to its generous contributors, hard-working board members, and the dedicated staff, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Hamilton continues to provide more young people with a full and fair chance to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Past Executive Directors
Larry Weekly (1967-1985)
Karen Miller (1985-2020)
The First Boys & Girls Club
The Good Will Club in Hartford, Conn., 1900
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with three women in Hartford, Connecticut - Mary Goodwin, Alice Goodwin and Elizabeth Hammersley. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. With character development as the cornerstone of the experience, the Club focused on capturing boys interests, improving their behavior and increasing their personal expectations and goals. A cause was born.
- In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start of a nationwide Movement and our national organization.
- In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
- In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
- To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
- 2006 marked the Centennial year of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.
This template controls the elements:
FOOTER: Footer Title, Footer Descriptions
CUSTOM MENU: Images and columns into header main menu submenu items
* This message is only visible in administrative mode